Lead Gameplay Programmer
About Star Stable Entertainment
Star Stable Entertainment was founded in 2011, sparked by a desire for a game that could make a difference. Although half of gamers are girls and women, they were under-represented in the gaming industry, both as characters and creators. We dreamed of an epic online world where tween and teen girls could share an amazing experience. And we wanted to challenge how things were done in a male-dominated industry.
The result was Star Stable Online, which has gone on to become the world’s number one horse game with over 21 million registered users across 180 countries. We’re thrilled to welcome fun-loving players to the island of Jorvik, with its breathtaking scenery, beautiful horses, and magical quests. And we’re proud to see each player's special bond with their four-legged friends and the passionate community of Star Stable players.
As of 2022, our company has 200+ employees with a female to male ratio of 54/46, unheard of in the gaming industry. Our world has expanded into the Star Stable Universe and includes books, music, animated series, and mobile apps. And we continue to champion diverse characters and narratives, encouraging our audience to be their true selves. It’s wonderful to see our dream resonate with so many players around the world, and we can’t wait to share more stories and experiences with them!
The Lead Gameplay Programmer should be passionate about driving the team forward and maintaining the team’s effectiveness through cultivating an environment where team members feel empowered. It is also important as the Lead to be work proactively with development of the game and features together with your team. You will work in a cross functional team consisting of data analysts, designers, engineers and artists.
As our Lead Gameplay Programmer you will
- Balance development and maintenance of gameplay features with the responsibilities of discipline lead.
- Lead by example, through your work other engineers should understand best practices.
- Collaborate with other disciplines such as design, art, animation and production, facilitating communication of ideas and issues across the organization.
- Leadership skills with the ability to delegate.
Meet game design and technical requirements as well as internal coding structure.
- Foster a culture of ownership of code quality and collaborate with QA to deliver features to our players with high standards.
- Ensure the creation and maintenance of appropriate technical documentation.
- Promote solid engineering practices and ensure team alignment around coding standards.
- Optimise code and data for memory usage/performance.
- Identify and solve development obstacles or risks.
- Enable the timely delivery of practical solutions in the areas of development such as: game logic, controls/input, AI, UI and more.
- Provide mentoring for individuals and contribute to building healthy and high performing teams.
- Have heavy involvement in the creation of Gameplay Programmer processes, pipelines, and discipline.
- Communicate the status of software requirements and process to other departments.
Skills we are looking for
- C++ knowledge
- Ability to debug and test
- Database knowledge
- Experience working with different platforms (mobile, desktop).
- Basic understanding of game development and agile ways of working (rapid prototyping, task breakdown, testing.
- Experience with unit testing
- Perforce +3 years
- Soft skills:
- User focus, strong interest in our game and players.
- Ability to create good gameplay for our players.
- Willingness to work with a product aimed at a younger audience.
- Alignment with our company values.
- Supportive in that everyone should be able to come as they are.
- Ability to work with departments outside of tech such as marketing and customer experience.
- Problem solver
Interested? This is what we can offer you:
- Flexible working opportunities.
- We’re more than 50% female-identifying! #YES to #WomenInTech!
- We’re known to throw good parties from time to time.
- We may be a big group, but we’re a tight-knit team! A diverse team of friendly, fun, and supportive co-workers from 20 different countries!
- 30 Vacation Days.
- ITP1 Insurance plan.
- Parental pay top up to 90%
At Star Stable Entertainment, you will be a part of diverse culture with a no-crunch policy, a prioritised work-life balance, and a workforce eager to test and try new things! We are on an adventure to scale our unique impact in the world with new franchises across desktop/mobile, a long-form animation, and a licensing program all currently in development.
If you are excited about making a difference and being part of an exciting journey then we would love to hear from you!
Lead Gameplay Programmer
Loading application form
Already working at Star Stable Entertainment?
Let’s recruit together and find your next colleague.